Kathy's Small Group Discussion Topics

This blog is a place that archives topics and stories used in Yokefellow Prison Ministry sessions in a county jail in rural Pennsylvania. You are welcome to use these ideas in your small group sessions. They would be applicable to use in Christian small groups of most any kind.

Name:
Location: williamsport, Pennsylvania, United States

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Can this prison ministry expand?

This is our week off from the prison for May. Someone else from Yokefellow goes in tonight. We try to offer a prayer for her at the time of the session.

So, I'll write on something else I've been thinking about.

Can Yokefellow Prison ministry expand? YPM was started back in 1955 when the Dr. Elton Trueblood presented his thoughts on small groups to Federal Prison Chaplains at a seminar.

The largest groups of Yokefellows were actually not in prison at all. But the groups that remain are the Yokefellow Prison ministry groups.

Dr. Trueblood died in 1994. For years I assumed that Yokefellow Prison Ministry would slowly be less active and fade away.

But there seems to be a growth happening here in Pennsylvania. Why? Not sure, although we are blessed to have a strong board and leaders, so I'm sure that is helping.

I do know this. I've heard it time and time again. The inmates really like the Yokefellow sessions. They say that Yokefellows listen to them. There is not a set lesson or content that must be covered at a session. In fact, we often put our prepared lesson aside if the group wants to discuss some other topic that we can tie in to faith. And most topics can be tied into faith and God and Jesus.

The inmates appreciate that they aren't being simply preached to. They are engaged in the group discussion. They are a part of sessions. Their input helps decide the outcome. They are important and valued by the volunteers.

When I started in 1994, I thought I knew everything. Sigh.

Together, free and incarcerated, we reach out to God for his grace and wisdom to grasp what he wants us to see and understand. Together. It happens together.

There is an active Yokefellow Prison Ministry group in North Carolina.

Can Yokefellow spread again? I think so. I hope so. I believe there are probably other Christians out there that could mature and grow through this service ministry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home